Myanmar's military declares a ceasefire
Digest more
Top News
Overview
Impacts
Myanmar's ruling military declared a temporary ceasefire in the country's civil war Wednesday to facilitate relief efforts following a 7.7 magnitude earthquake that has killed more than 3,000 people.
From The Associated Press
Myanmar junta leader Min Aung Hlaing will attend the regional BIMSTEC summit in Bangkok this week, Thailand's foreign ministry said on Wednesday.
From U.S. News & World Report
The quake killed more than 3,000 people and injured thousands more, according to the ruling junta.
From CNN
Read more on News Digest
At least 14 bodies have been recovered in southern Gaza, including the bodies of eight medics, a week after Israeli soldiers fired at ambulances.
Myanmar's military has announced a temporary ceasefire to speed up relief and reconstruction efforts following last week's devastating earthquake. In a statement, the ruling junta's State Administration Council said the deal would be in effect from 2 April to 22 April.
It was unclear whether the cease-fire would be honored. It came a day after soldiers fired at a Chinese Red Cross aid convoy, and amid multiple airstrikes.
Myanmar's military opened fire at a Chinese Red Cross convoy carrying earthquake relief supplies on Tuesday night. The Ta'ang National Liberation Army, an armed rebel group, said that military troops shot at the convoy of nine vehicles with machine guns in eastern Shan State.
U.S. Army Garrison Fort Hamilton community welcomed a new American Red Cross office with a ribbon-cutting ceremony March 12, marking a significant
1don MSN
The ruling military junta says it fired warning shots at the group because the convoy failed to stop and it hadn't told them they were working in an active combat zone.
The Red Cross movement has expressed outrage that eight Palestinian medics were killed along with six Civil Defence first responders and a UN staff member by Israeli forces in southern Gaza.
1d
bne IntelliNews on MSNMyanmar junta fires at Chinese Red Cross convoy during earthquake aid missionBy bno - Bangkok Office Myanmar's military junta attempted to stop a Chinese Red Cross convoy carrying aid for earthquake recovery, but the convoy refused to halt, prompting the military to fire warning shots,
Myanmar’s junta, which has held power in the country since a coup in 2021 and is facing an armed conflict with ethnic and pro-democracy guerrillas, said Wednesday that the military fired warning shots at a Chinese Red Cross aid convoy.
At least three hospitals in the country are out of service, according to the World Health Organisation, three days after a powerful earthquake hit the country.
Fifteen emergency and aid workers from the Red Crescent, Palestinian Civil Defense and the United Nations have been recovered from a grave in the sand in the south of the Gaza Strip, U.N. officials said.